
"Won’t you take this cup from me
‘Cause fear has stolen all my sleep
If tomorrow means my death
I pray you’ll save their souls with it
Let the songs I sing
Bring joy to you
Let the words I say profess my love
Let the notes I choose
Be your favorite tune
Father let my heart be after you
In this hour of doubt I see
But who I am is not just me
So give me strength to die myself
So love can live to tell the tale
Let the songs I sing
Bring joy to you
Let the words I say profess my love
Let the notes I choose
Be your favorite tune
Father let my heart be after you
Father let my heart be...
For you
Let the songs I sing
Bring joy to you
Let the words I say profess my love
Let the notes I choose
Be your favorite tune
Father let my heart be after you"
Reading those lyrics may not rock your world like it did mine this morning; it was a very personal moment of awareness for me. All that I could wrap my mind around while listening particularly to the two verses of the song was the humanity of Christ. Putting myself in His shoes for a moment to comprehend that He was very much aware that He was laying down His physical life; looking ahead knowing He was scheduled to endure hours upon hours of mockery, physical abuse and agony; all for the sake of those that were guilty of the torment He was to withstand. And despite the fact that HE WAS FULLY GOD, His heart's desire more than anything else was to please His Father. To do whatever it was that His Father God desired for Him to do. I don't know that I can completely articulate how much this blows my mind, but to think about the fact that Jesus Christ was God, but also man, and with all of His humanity wanted nothing more than to please God, no matter what that demanded... wow. He wasn't callus. He wasn't resigned. He wasn't arrogant. He was humble, submissive, broken, afraid and sold out on pleasing God.
Is His attitude reflected in me? Not even close. But that's the plan, I think.
1 comment:
love the song and the perspective on it. you've got great momentum built up, keep this pace going!
Post a Comment